Monday, February 22, 2010

Pre-Season: We're In It!

Our organization sent out the e-mail last week telling us to prepare for the upcoming season. I feel some excitement but also a sense of urgency. Being in shape to coach is one thing -- I can toss batting practice with the best of them and working up a sweat in the cage is a great way to get some cardio in. I also run and bike a bit so I’m certainly not starting from scratch. Officiating, though, is a bit different.

Being behind the plate for a six or seven inning game, with twenty pitches per half inning, I could be looking at 280 or so squats. Even in the field there’s standing, bending and sudden sprinting that can impact the back. A hobbling official isn’t setting himself up for success.

My first order of business in pre-season conditioning is to keep up, as long as I can, the occasional biking and running which tail off once the season starts. I’ve also added wind sprints a few days a week, with grass being the preferred running surface. Sit-ups and pushups help since your core plays an important role no matter what you are doing out in the field.

In season my biggest ally, in addition to good form behind the plate, is stretching. I haven’t gotten to the point of yoga (although I’ve heard good things) but I try to be diligent with stretches for the back, neck, shoulders and legs, particularly before and after games.

I know some fellow officials "ice up" after a game but it seems like the pre-season work and the stretching pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment