Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Cap

For the first time since I began officiating, two different fans over the same weekend asked me about my navy field cap. I have two, one bearing the initials FDNY and the other BFD. FDNY obviously stands for Fire Department of New York while BFD represents my hometown fire department, Bayonne, NJ.

I don’t belong to a local umpire association (although I am an ABUA member) so I’m free to wear the blank, blue standard cap or something else appropriate. I chose to go with the fire department after seeing a few of my instructors do the same during a camp. The FDNY cap was easy to order and I had the BFD model made since there’s not a shop for such items in my hometown.

Not to get all serious here but I have had relatives and friends serve in various fire departments and to bring attention to the commitment of these men and women is a simple act on my part. The folks that I know are a special breed who take their responsibilities seriously and their day can move from the camaraderie of the firehouse into an emergency situation in a matter of moments. The fact of the matter is, when you and I are trying to get out or move from harm’s way, they are the ones trying to get in and take care of the situation. I'm proud to know these folks!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting into umpiring after your coaching career, J.J. Welcome to the fraternity/sorority! You seem to have an excellent grasp of the basic principles that are the foundation of any umpire's repertoire: walk out there looking sharp, exude confidence and energy even if that's not how you actually feel, and umpire "as if you don't care" even while you care about your umpiring. (That's one of the sweet, counter-intuitive contradictions inherent in baseball that make it so mystifying and irresistible to those of us who act as its police force.)

    As you gain in experience and proficiency, please don't forget that there are women out there who belong to the "fraternity" too, and we've joined by virtue of our hard work and perseverance, expecting no more and no less respect from our partners and the players than any other umpire. I'll be following your ruminations on this blog from now on, looking forward to the insights you provide and the unique perspective that umpiring offers its practitioners. I love your philosophy about walking out on the field looking like you care, but umpiring as if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ when did you go to the Southern Camp?
    I was there Feb of this year and was at the International Camp Oct 2009.

    Great blog. I'm marking as follow. Also thanks for the link to Umpire-Empire. I appreciate that. I'll place a link on U-E and be sure to add a link to your blog in your signature at Umpire-Empire.

    Warren
    Umpire-Empire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warren,

    I was at the Southern Camp the last two years, each February. I remember over-hearing you talk about your blog and I meant to catch up with you. Yours is a great site and I appreciate you linking mine. I'm just writing about what I see -- it's a great hobby!

    ReplyDelete