Friday, February 26, 2010

I Don't Care

That’s the one statement I wish I could get across to parents, coaches and players before, during and after each game. Not in those exact words but that’s the sentiment so many folks don’t understand.

I don’t care if a player is safe or out or if the next pitch is a ball or a strike. I don’t care if a ball is fair or foul or if one of the teams is undefeated or if the other is plowing through a winless season. I guess the more appropriate expression should be, “It doesn’t matter to me.”

What does matter? The safety of the players (doesn’t this go without saying?), sportsmanship and that we all follow the rules and procedures of the game. What else is there? The weather, I guess.

Late into last year’s spring season I was behind the plate for a 14U travel game. The son of a fellow umpire played for one of the teams. This player is a friend of my two children and is considered to be an all-around great kid. The father is also a superb individual. I rang the kid up on a called third strike. Why? It was a strike. His dad is still a friend. Why can’t all parents be umpires?

Here’s something else that, based on past experience, I expect to happen this season. A 2-2 pitch comes in, just off the outside corner of the plate. It’s not a strike but the defensive team “wants” it. The pitch is called a ball. The pitcher cocks his head, the defensive coach twitches a bit as he anticipates the strike declaration that doesn’t come, and mom and dad in the stands moan and maybe even utter a “C’mon, Blue!” The offensive coach may even whistle as he believes his batter caught a break. What’s a guy to do? I don’t…it doesn’t matter to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment